Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 10/365 ~Pearson's Owl

I didn't post yesterday, because I have been very VERY busy researching Pearson, and his parcc test.
After MUCH reading and careful consideration, I have decided to refuse the test for both of my kids.  8th grade and 4th grade.
Late last night after I was done reading, and needed a break, I took out my camera and decided to try and find an interesting way to snap a pic for the 365 photo a day challenge.  I decided to play with macro.  I used my 35mm lens, and put the macro ring on.  I turned the aperture wide open, and upped the ISO all the way to 12,800.  I took random pictures of various little Christmas decorations around my house, 75 in all.  And after the day I had reading so much about common core, and Pearson's parcc.. I decided to use this little owl.  He stands on the back of a moose on my yankee candle holder for the 22 oz jar.
I started out by thinking, an owl always depicted the teachers in many movies.  He was always a wise old owl.  Winnie the Pooh, The Fox and the Hound.  Teachers were represented by owls, wearing glasses, standing tall.  I started to think that this little yankee owl, looked like today's teacher, after her soul was sucked dry, staying up late, writing student growth objectives, marking papers, and doing lesson plans.  Today's teacher spends an average of 40 hours a month on her own time after she clocks out doing school work.  This isn't what education is about.  Children have become data points.  They are not being TAUGHT.  They are being prepped for tests.  Test after test.  Benchmark tests, placement tests.. and it doesn't really affect them much.. I found out really ~how well our children do on these tests, count as 30% of a teacher's evaluation.  So knowing what I know, and knowing many teachers who have decided to stick it out, and not give up, and spend time home on their couches,  there but not there, with their families lost in student growth objectives this is what has become of the wise old owl
A little cracked a little chipped, scratchy red eyes, fading away, but still standing tall and holding her ground.

And I went on to find you a link where the stereotype of owls, were wise old teachers, and I found this~

"Owls[edit]

  • The wise owl
  • Although owls are often associated with wisdom and intelligence, this is not universal. During the Middle Ages owls were seen as stupid and evil helpers of witches. In many paintings of Hieronymus Bosch the bird is seen as a symbol of stupidity and/or evil. The Dutch profanity word "uilskuiken" ("owl chick") is used to insult a stupid person; the Dutch saying "Wat baten kaars en bril als de uil niet zien wil?" ("What use are a candle and glasses if the owl refuses to see?")reminds people of this opposite view of owls. In Asian culture owls are traditionally seen as dumb instead of wise. Portrayal of owls as evil can also be seen in films such as Rock-a-Doodle."

So low and behold, the wise old owl is NOT universal. During the middle ages, they were seen as Stupid evil helpers of witches.  So, Pearson~ You may have us blinded but other countries know, what you've done to our educational system ~ doesn't make you a wise old owl. You are evil.  Pearson's parcc should not implemented, or required to graduate.  It should not reflect on our teachers at all.  It should go.  We all hate it, and we are outraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment